Foods that connect us to our ancestors, Here's one of my favorites

People asked me about this Russian soup recipe after I make it every fall. I learned from my Mom, a typical Western girl who married into a traditional eastern Jewish family. Mom got it from my Jewish Grandmother who got it from her Mom who came from Russian, Polish, Latvian families and no one knows for sure where it really came from, but it is a popular Russian and Jewish soup.

Here is my version made from memory:
I make this from memory and to taste but here is the basics: This soup goes by various names: Russian Sweet and Sour soup, Jewish Sweet and Sour soup or Cabbage Sweet and Sour soup but all recipes I've seen are basically the same and it has a taste similar to many German dishes too.

One trick is managing the sweet and sour, once everything is made you need to taste the soup as it cooks and decide how much sweet to add for balance. One version uses brown sugar (I often use Splenda brown sugar) others use white sugar or honey but I don't like the honey version. I start with about 1/2 cup of brown Splenda sugar and then adjust the sour adding move vinegar. Many people after having this soup say it reminds them of German food like sauerbraten flavors in a soup.
Ingredients:
1 head red (purple) cabbage finely chopped
several pounds of short ribs, braised on all sides and then put into stock pot and water to boil (some people skip the braising and just go right to the water)
1 large onion, chopped browned in olive oil or your preferred oil
White wine vinegar about 1/3 to 1/2 cup (this is the main sour part) better than plain white vinegar but that can be used too.
Lemon juice (Sometimes I leave this out. Some people add more lemon and less vinegar) 1/4 cup.
Sea salt, my mom adds celery salt and we both use sour salt but thats hard to find. I grind my sea salt fresh into the soup to taste, grandma always used kosher table salt, she'd just pour some into her hand and sprinkle it in, no idea if she ever measured anything.
Water based on how soupy or stew thickness you prefer, I use 3-4 cans of water plus the other liquids below.
2 cans stewed tomato including liquid (I use unsalted) or sometimes sub canned diced tomatoes (depends on whats in the house). I also know some people add tomato sauce or get really fresh and use fresh tomatoes like Roma and stew them at home but I'm not that fancy.
Garlic and a little fresh ground black pepper to taste, I use penzey's spices. Pepper and garlic powder maybe a tea spoon each but again I just know what I want and sprinkle it on, and add more later if I think it needs it.
2 cups Beef stock (or liquid beef bullion)

Some people add fresh dill and potatoes which I like but I avoid carbs so I leave out the potatoes. Some people add turnips too which I like, it adds the potato color and texture without adding as many carbs as potatoes.
Occasionally I'll add bay leaves if I'm in the mood.

When I have time I will boil the short ribs in water then cool, skimming off the scum and grease as it cools I understand many real cooks do this when making any kind of soup regardless of meat and that the fats and impurities that are removed withe foamy scum also remove bitterness and allow the other seasonings and meat tastes to come through better. 

If I am making it fast and serving it the same day I will boil the short ribs, dump the water, trim the meat, remove the fat but put the bones back into the soup to simmer, this gets rid of excess fat just as well as the long way. Simmer 4 plus hours or dump everything in a crock pot and cook on low all day while at work (for those with jobs)! Mom makes it in a stock pot and simmers it for 6-10 hours adding water as needed but who has time to watch that all day anymore.

Some may remember a similar soup that Weight Watchers uses as a free food, the soup is a healthy low fat, low carb food and if you use Splenda type sweeteners its low in calories and highly satisfying. Also you can omit the sweet and let the tomato and vinegar do the work of the sweet and sour. Add more water and let yourself enjoy a little more it can be a filling satisfying meal or snack and the sweet and sour can help fulfill some cravings. 

I used to love to come home from school on a cold day and have a bowl for my snack, Mom would have it in the fridge in a big pot (thanks Mom) much better than coming home to junk food. and knowing it had a long history with my ancestors makes me think of them making it and eating it giving me a connection to both growing up and my Grandparents who I love while enjoying something they enjoyed from they're ancestors too.

So what soup or food connects you to your past?

Comments

Popular Posts